Thursday, October 27, 2011

Been Through Car Wash Lately?

There are several things about me that I really don't like.

1 - I eat wayyyy too much fast food.
2 – I misplace things all the time.
3 - I am accident-prone and break things easily.

I think all of these come from being overly laid back; I treat most things with a “no big deal” casual attitude. For the most part, I think that’s a good quality. But sometimes, these negative sides really get under my skin.

My husband often has to be very patient with me. Just after Christmas, I hurt - okay, wrecked - our car when I drove too closely to a pole at the gas pump. And I can't even blame it on my kids for distracting me - I was all alone!

A couple months later, my absent-minded-ness caused our family computer to get broken. I left the laptop on the arm of the couch, and my son knocked it to the floor during a game of “Spiderman Jumping.” It was unfixable. And of course, I had forgotten to back up my files.

That same week, I was wrapping up some of my husband’s camping gear, and I destroyed an expensive air mattress by accidentally catching it with a hook. I just looked up at him and said, “I don’t think you should let me touch your stuff anymore.”

My bad habits have a way of getting me down. At first, it is frustrating to deal with the same issues over and over. After a while, I begin to feel embarrassed that I can’t seem to kick certain habits. And then, guilt sets in.

My husband is always very kind to me when my “no big deal-ness” wreaks havoc for the umpteenth time. He tells me not to worry about it - that it's only stuff, and that he loves me completely. In these difficult moments, his gentleness reminds me of the love of God.

It's such a gift to be forgiven of the same mess-ups over and over - to be truly known and still truly loved (even when we don't seem to improve). God loves us this way. I believe that his love is not in spite of our faults, but sometimes, He has compassion on us because of our faults.

In Matthew 9, Jesus is traveling from town to town, teaching and healing. Verse 36 says,

“When he looked out over the crowds, his heart broke. So confused and aimless they were, like sheep with no shepherd.”
(from The Message)

Each of us is God’s precious creation – He loves us as His children! You don’t have to hide your flaws from God. He already knows they are there. And in those stressful moments when you discover you’ve messed up yet again, don’t beat yourself up. Use your guilt to point you to God.

Author Gary Thomas writes, “Not so long ago, the word ‘polio’ struck fear into the heart of every parent. Today, the effects of polio seem little more than a very bad memory Why the difference? Doctors have learned how to beat the disease. …Guilt is a fierce reality, but God has provided a cure in the death and resurrection of Jesus.”

Thomas says guilt is a car wash, not a parking lot. You can come out on the other end with a new outlook! We get another day, another chance. We cannot exhaust God’s grace! So turn your guilt into a call to worship. Confess your shortcomings, but spend as much energy rejoicing in the God who forgives.

"God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' " --Hebrews 13:5

Bicky Tolar
Abilene, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Once again your words of truth bring tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing, sister!

    ReplyDelete