Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Theme: Texts from James Ch. 1

TEMPTATION

James 1:13-15 says, “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been proved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”

We all know about temptation and sin.  Most try to pin the responsibility on others even God.  James says the buck stops with us.

Let me tell you about Becky.  She is the granddaughter of Don and Nancy Davis.  Becky is all grown up now but when she was a little girl she had this adventure with temptation.  Nancy known as Nanna was baking cookies.  Becky spotted the cookies and this conversation followed:

Becky              “I want a cookie.”
Nanna  “No, we are about to eat supper.”

Becky              “But, I want a cookie.”
Nanna  “After supper you may eat a cookie.”

Becky              “I just want to hold a cookie.”
Nanna  “You can’t eat a cookie til after supper.”

Becky              “I just want to smell the cookie.”

Nanna  “I told you, you can not eat a cookie before supper.”

Becky              “I just want to lick a cookie.”

We know how this story ended.

See…Hold…Smell…Lick…___________.

I couldn’t have said it better than Becky.

“Each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.  Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin.

Dear Father,
I praise you because you are so good to me.  Your steadfast love never ceases.  You have given me your word and made your will plain.  And yet I still sin.  Sometimes I even blame you.  You know that is wrong.  Please forgive me for my sin and please forgive me for compounding my problems by not taking responsibility.

I marvel at your grace and thank you for my forgiveness.
In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment