Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Radical Stories in Luke


Don’t Talk to Strangers!

Praise God for His “Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth” better known as the BIBLE!  He provided such a perfect guide for how we are to live our daily lives.  Jesus shared many principles of daily living through the use of parables. Parables are intended to teach us a lesson.  Often they represent an everyday situation that we have the opportunity to choose to serve or to obey our Heavenly Father.  The story of the Good Samaritan offers a lesson that relates to every single person – no matter where you are in your Christian journey.  Every single day we are given opportunities to engage with others.

Here is the parable for you to read….. Luke 10:25-37

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked,
   26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
   27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”
   28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
   29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
  30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
   36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
  37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
   Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Ask yourself who you consider to be your neighbor?  My guess is your response is similar to mine and would be a specific name or description of the people inhabiting the space nearest your home!  I personally, do not cognitively consider others I do not know as a ‘neighbor’.  Perhaps they could be acquaintances, but there is a category of “stranger / unknown” that many people fall into.  Consequently, I treat these people differently than people I am familiar with.    I am not sure if it is easier to help people you know or people you don’t know?    

I ask myself “how many times have I seen someone hurting and just kept walking?”  How many times have I had the opportunity to ask “I want to help – is there something I can do for you”?  How many times have I actually asked that question BUT didn’t sincerely mean it?  I am guilty in so many ways of passing up opportunities to help others whether in a physical way or an emotional way. I am guilty of this with people I am well acquainted with AND with strangers.  Sometimes, I tell myself “it’s not my business.  Stay out of it.”   At other times, I am more compelled to help because I don’t know the person or the details surrounding their situation.

In the parable above, Jesus describes how two men (who were supposed to be godly and should have been more likely to help) went out of their way to ignore a man who was obviously in need of help.  This man was beaten and left for dead and the men CHOSE to not show mercy and love to someone in need.  Yet, a Samaritan man was compelled to help.  Not only did he bandage his wounds and care for him, but he put the injured man on his own animal and took him to town.  He then made himself financially responsible for the hurt man as he left him in the care of someone else.  This demonstrates tremendous compassion and respect for human life!  Jesus demonstrates in this simple story that mercy shown to others is a way that we live out our faith.  We put Jesus’ love into action by our service to others.

Every encounter may not be a physical or financial need.  It may be emotional or mental.  The fundamental lesson is – TALK to strangers! Engage with others! They may need us!  More importantly, they may need Jesus!  So the next time you are faced with the opportunity to help others, take it!  Don’t allow yourself to second guess your actions or the outcome.  Trust that the God you have faith in is using you as an instrument of His love and peace!

Father, forgive me for squandering so many opportunities to share your love and mercy with others.  Please help me to recognize these and have courage to act on them.  Thank you for sending Jesus to live as an example and to share these parables with us.  Thank you for always being merciful.  In Jesus’ name, amen.

Michelle Tittor
Grapevine TX

No comments:

Post a Comment