Friday, April 22, 2011

My Words, Too, Lord

As wildfires continue to devour thousands upon thousands of Texas land, wildlife, livestock and even human  life, many have suffered tremendous loss. Father, protect and strengthen the firefighters who labor to extinguish the fires.  Comfort and strengthen those who have suffered loss.  Please send rain on our land.

I’m reminded of the convicting truth from James 3:  
5So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!
6And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
7For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race.
8But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
9With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;
10from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.

It only takes a spark to begin a forest fire.  The tongue is such a small part of the body, but is capable of horrific power and devastation.  Just yesterday, I spoke words unbecoming for a Christian, at the time it seemed only harmless humor.  As the hours passed and my mind pondered the words, my heart became heavy with shame for careless words spoken.
How quickly our words can spread flames that may incinerate the landscape of our relationships.  The damage is done.  Unlike a wildfire, the prairie or field often return greener and cleaner.  But, the destruction of careless words can cause pain over and over again-spoken only once. Restoration may be possible through humility, forgiveness, love and grace.

Fire also enhances our lives through warmth on a cold winter night, or cooking the meal enjoyed around a campfire. Similarly, our tongues can and should be instruments of instruction and inspiration, encouragement and edification.  Words, I believe, are directly connected to the condition of the heart.  May our words be in worship and praise of our LORD and an inspiration to those around us.  

Most Gracious Heavenly Father, bathe my heart and mouth in Your love and grace.  For in the moments I speak careless or hurtful words, Your Spirit is not reigning in my heart.  Help me
 in this weakness.  May confession be my desire when I do fail to rein in my words and motives.  Mold me into a quiet spirit full of Your love.  May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to You, O God.  Thank You, Father, for the gift of Jesus.  In His name, Amen.

Mischelle Oliver
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment