Thursday, February 24, 2011

Not You...Not Him...But Me!

Series: Jesus, You Make Me Nervous


On account of a recent and minor moving violation, I had the opportunity to take a defensive driving course. I’m no authority on the matter, but if you ever find yourself in a similar situation and must take the course, I suggest doing it online. It seems to go by more quickly and you can complete the requirements while watching a movie, working on something else, or taking brief, intermittent naps between/during lessons. I say that you can divide your attention because the course is largely common sense and can become a little monotonous about fifteen minutes in. However, I don’t complain about taking the course because it is a nice alternative to paying the full ticket and having the citation linger on your driving record.

Defensive driving aside, perhaps the only truly frustrating part of being issued a ticket for me (and probably many of you), is your otherwise pleasant drive being interrupted to be told that you’re doing something wrong. And whether it’s while driving, at work, at home, in a class, or amongst friends, no one enjoys being blindsided by the realization of an infraction. We typically operate under the assumption that we are doing things right, that we are living under the norms, mores, codes, and laws of our community, culture, and relationships.

But what about our faith? Do we think and feel like we are living our faith properly? Do we have confidence that we are following an invisible deity appropriately? The question of how well we execute the statutes of Christianity and doctrines of the church isn’t what I mean to address, but rather, does God want us to have confidence in ourselves that we are doing it all, largely, right?

I look at the life of Christ and ask myself whom did Jesus make nervous? Those who abandoned their lives, families, careers, and habits are depicted in scripture as having little reservation or hesitation in following the Lamb. Those whose lives were full of shame and guilt, whose social statuses were questionable, and whose previous religious affiliations were negligible are always at peace and serene around Jesus; even the demon possessed. So, whom does Jesus make nervous?

While the human incarnation of God made many people nervous, as well he should, the group I’m going to focus on is the religiously confident, pious, and proud. The group that thought they had it all right. Those full of questions, wonderment, and doubt in themselves (the overtly sinful, poor, socially downcast, children, etc.) were put at ease in the presence of Jesus as if some ancient aching inside them was finally being relieved. Those who supposed themselves full, whole, and pristine were consumed by anger, violence, resentment, and offense. These people were nervous around Jesus because he saw them for who they were just as he saw the leper for who he was. The anxiety from those who were blindsided by their spiritual infractions is palpable; you can taste it in the air. We can’t stand our mistakes being pointed out. And whether written about in the sand or spoken of in the temple, some of the hearts of the people around Jesus were racing at the thought of their name and truth being exposed in front of all those they had judged.

And Jesus makes me nervous because I know I have had ears to hear and have not heard, I have had eyes to see and have been blind. Jesus makes me nervous when I stop wondering how well I live out the gospel, when I’ve got something to hide, and when I think that I don’t. Jesus makes me nervous when I stop remembering that I need him.

Father,
Thank you for the light of your Son that fills the darkness. And Father forgive us for contributing to the darkness. Remind us that you are a mystery and that following you is a matter of faith in you, not confidence in ourselves. May we be relieved in your presence and not nervous. May we cast off the masks that we wear in an attempt to deceive our neighbors, you, and ourselves. Thank you for your Son, the accountability he brings and the grace.
Amen

Chris Palmer
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment